Smoked Whitefish Salad

by BiteSizedJessica on June 9, 2010

By Jonathan

This is a simple bite of whitefish salad on an everything bagel with red onions and tomato. For me, there is nothing better on a Sunday morning than a toasted onion bagel with cream cheese, whitefish salad, a slice of onion, a couple slices of tomato, and some salt on top. It might be my favorite flavor combination there is, right up there with meat, cheese, and fried onions.This breakfast always conjures up wonderful memories of growing up In a Jewish family. I did not start eating seafood until later in life, but whitefish salad has been one of my favorite foods for as long as I can remember. For me, a bagel with whitefish salad brings back memories of summer mornings at my family’s beach house in Ventnor,NJ and memories of waking up and going out with my Dad to buy bagels and then going to my soccer game or watching the eagles game.

The other day, Jessica came home with a whole smoked whitefish and I told her we should make a bite out of it. The bite we did is basically a pared down version of the bagel I always ate with my family growing up, but we used cream cheese in the whitefish salad instead of mayonnaise. The single bite of bagel, whitefish, onions and tomato is so familiar and comforting, and reminds me of my family and my childhood.

INGREDIENTS
(Makes 12 pieces)

½ lb smoked whitefish, picked
3 tablespoons whipped cream cheese (we used TempTee)
Small bunch of chives, thinly sliced
1 onion bagel, cut into 12ths
1 tomato, sliced and quartered
Red onion, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste

For the Bite:

1. Slice bagel into desired size and scoop out a little of the dough. Toast.

2. Pick whitefish off the bone of the fish or, if you bought a filet, pick through to remove any pin bones. Mix with salt, pepper, cream cheese and chives.

3. Top bagel with whitefish salad, tomato and onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve

© 2010 Jonathan Meter and Jessica Hertle

Dora Ficher June 9, 2010 at 8:49 am

And what wonderful memories it brings! When you were young it always boggled my mind how much you liked whitefish but would not touch any other fish. I guess it had to do with the taste of the bite, the combination of the right ingredients. Love your site Jon & Jess! Keep looking forward to every Wednesday. Maybe you can make some of these bites next time you are visiting.
Great post!!! xo mom

Pengel June 9, 2010 at 10:12 am

That looks delisch!

Where did you buy the bagel??

BiteSizedJessica June 9, 2010 at 11:32 am

Bagel is from my favorite bagel spot in NYC – Ess-a-Bagel on 21st and 1st ave. So good!

Horacio Meter June 9, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Great bite, I could have it anytime, not only Sunday brunch..

Jessica June 9, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Bagels on Sunday mornings is quintessential New York. I miss them so much! Even the part where I have to pick those pesky poppy seeds out of my teeth!

hungry dog June 10, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Wow, this sounds so great! I love your photos by the way…you’ve made a fish skeleton look elegant.

BiteSizedJonathan June 11, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Thanks so much. Jess and I went back-and-forth on whether to use that image or not, because it is a fish skeleton which is a little gross. But we decided to go with, it tells so much of the story, I’m glad you appreciate it too.

Vivienne June 13, 2010 at 7:20 am

Wow, that looks great – I can just imagine the combo of flavours in my mouth! Stumbled upon your blog on foodgawker….great photos!!

BiteSizedJonathan June 14, 2010 at 8:29 am

Thanks for checking out Bite Sized, jess and I appreciate your comment. Check back every wednesday for a new post

philandlauren June 22, 2010 at 9:54 am

Huge smoked fish fan-great recipe, great photos–capture the rustic nature of the dish and the essence of smoked fish.

Carole Glickfeld July 26, 2010 at 5:01 am

I’ve been exiled to Seattle but when I go to New York (twice a year), I virtually live on whitefish salad take-out from Fairway at 74th & Broadway. I believe theirs has a few peas in it. There’s no such thing in Seattle. And anyhow there are no real bagels here.

Lori September 22, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Can you freeze whitefish salad?

BiteSizedJonathan October 10, 2010 at 2:19 am

Lori,
I dont think freezing whitefish is the best way to go. Better to eat when it’s fresh!