Pulled Pork Taco with Black Bean Salsa and Grilled Pineapple

by BiteSizedJessica on July 21, 2010

Our pork tacos with salsa and grilled pineapple were inspired by our recent experiment with pulled pork. We had so much pork and just the two of us to eat it, which is usually the case since Jon and I are known for making too much food. After a few pulled pork sandwiches on rolls with barbecue sauce, we needed to come up with something a little different to keep things interesting. We decided to make a bitesized taco using a salsa that is an old favorite of mine. I’ve made the black bean, avocado and red onion salsa for summer barbecues and various get togethers with friends because it is so easy but so good. We also decided that the fresh, tangy, sweet flavor of grilled pineapple would complement the creamy salsa and savory pork well. Plus, the pineapple at the market was so fragrant and fresh looking that we couldn’t resist it, especially since we had access to the grill. This little taco was a scrumptious bite that we may have to make life-sized for dinner soon.

INGREDIENTS:
(Makes 12 bites with some leftovers)

For the Salsa:

1 8-oz can of black beans
1 avocado, diced
1 small red onion, diced
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Juice of ½ lemon
3 slices grilled pineapple, diced

Process:

1. It would be better to use fresh black beans for this salsa, but out on Fire Island we only had access to canned. The choice of bean is up to you.
    2. Mix beans, onion, avocado together. Dress with olive oil, salt and pepper, and lemon juice.
    3. Slice pineapple into ¼ inch slices. Grill and dice.

For the Taco:

1 cup all purpose flour, sifted
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup water
Salt and pepper

Process:

1. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
    2. Slowly whisk in the water until the dough begins to come together. Use your hands to knead the dough until the ingredients are combined, 3-5 minutes.
    3. Roll dough out into a log, about 3 inches wide and 12 inches long. Wrap in plastic and allow dough to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
    4. When dough is rested, cut the loaf into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a round ball using your hands.
    5. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into as perfect circles as possible. We then used a circle cutter to create the bitesized taco shapes.
    6. In a skillet, heat a tablespoon of oil. Fry the tacos just until they are cooked through, about 1 minute per side.
    7. While they are still hot, shape them into half-moons by wrapping them around something cylindrical, about ½ inch in diameter (we used the handle of a whisk). Allow taco to cool this way and they will retain their crescent shape.

For the Pork:

See Technique Post #2 for ingredients and procedure

For the Bite:

1. Fill the taco with some shredded pork and salsa. Top with grilled pineapple and serve.

© 2010 Jonathan Meter and Jessica Hertle

Dorothy July 21, 2010 at 7:51 pm

This is fabulous… it looks amazing and the photography makes it look beyond delicious. I love the mini taco. You guys are great!

julialikesred July 22, 2010 at 10:03 am

These are beyond cute. Might try a seitan version next time someone throws a party!

Carolyn Jung July 22, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Mini pork tacos! Too cute! There’s no way anyone could eat just one. Definitely not me. 😉

Eileen July 22, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I always have leftover pork when we make pulled pork… this is on the menu for next time. Thanks.

heidi July 23, 2010 at 9:48 am

All of my favorite foods put together into a scrumptious “bite.”
I want one…no, no! I want many.
And she even makes her own tacos!

Dora Ficher July 24, 2010 at 9:54 am

You guys are so amazing!!! When are you opening a “Bites” place? Instead of tapas…”bites. You will outdo Amada!!! Everything looks so good!!! The photography is superb. You are both so incredibly talented!!! And the best of all is that you LOVE what you do!!!

Jessica July 25, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I recently discovered how perfect pineapples taste in tacos! Must try with a pulled pork filling.

BiteSizedJessica July 26, 2010 at 11:14 am

I love pineapples with pork, and it really does work well in a taco. Definitely give the pork a try!

BiteSizedJessica July 26, 2010 at 11:15 am

So happy you liked this post. Thanks for checking out BiteSized – new posts every Wednesday!

BiteSizedJessica July 26, 2010 at 11:16 am

Eileen – glad you liked the post and am happy to hear I’ve given you an idea for using up leftovers. I can’t stand throwing out food and am always trying to figure out ways to re-use stuff but make it different to avoid being repetitive. Keep checking out BiteSized every Wednesday!

BiteSizedJessica July 26, 2010 at 11:18 am

Thanks Carolyn! They are definitely great for a party, if you can make enough to go around. Once we started eating them we had trouble saving one for the photo. Glad you liked the post!

stanley July 27, 2010 at 2:22 am

pineapples in al pastor tacos is where it’s at!

G. July 27, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment, Jessica! I am a HUGE pulled pork fan and also love the flavors of grilled pineapple with just about anything! Looks like a wonderful and perfect summer meal!

Sophia August 25, 2010 at 10:51 am

I just became a big fan of pulled pork about a year ago. Now I love collecting pulled pork recipes. Thanks for posting this! I made Crockpot Old South Pulled Pork on a Bun recently and it was delicious! Keep up the great work here!

http://Www.google.com July 3, 2014 at 8:41 pm

I pay a quick visit everyday some web pages
and websites to read posts, except this website provides feature based posts.

Virtual Office Space San Francisco CA July 3, 2014 at 10:05 pm

I really like what you guys are usually up too. This kind
of clever work and reporting! Keep up the terrific works guys I’ve included
you guys to my blogroll.

health overallmicro August 30, 2014 at 7:20 am

Thanks for some other informative website. Where else could
I get that kind of info written in such an ideal means? I’ve a venture that I am just now running on, and I’ve been at the
look out for such info.

ElbertIFrist July 23, 2016 at 11:15 am

Should you wish for to improve your know-how only keep visiting this site and stay updated using the latest information posted here.