Eggs and Potatoes

by BiteSizedJessica on September 22, 2010

Warm, scrambled, cheesy, slightly undercooked eggs are one of the most comforting things to eat. You can also eat them day or night, and they’re perfect at either time in different ways. When Jon and I have a free morning, we like to go to this place B&H on 2nd ave between 7th and 8th street that serves great eggs. It’s a little hole in the wall place that’s been there forever. Everything is homemade and comes straight from the flattop griddle behind the counter. They have a bunch of different soups, pierogies, and a fresh juice bar. They also make their own loaves of challah bread which are incredible, and one of the best tuna melts in the city. Whenever we go there, I alternate between ordering an omelette with homefries and the tuna melt. Jon gets the eggs over easy every time, sometimes with a cup of gazpacho or split pea soup to start. The cook there, Mike, knows all his customers and greets us personally every time we come in. It’s such a homey little nook and going there on a cold morning is filling and warming. Our bite of eggs in a potato cup are my bitesized version of our cozy morning breakfasts at B&H.

INGREDIENTS:
(Makes 12)

4 eggs
1 tbsp cream
2 tbsp fresh chives, minced
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
¼ cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/8 cup goat cheese, crumbled
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Cayenne pepper, to taste
Baby potatoes, thinly sliced

Process:

1. Set a pot of water to boil to blanch the potatoes. Thinly slice them using a mandoline and blanch them briefly in the salted boiling water. Shock in an ice bath.
  2. In a pan made for mini muffins, arrange the potato slices to form a small cup. Cut out circles of parchment and place in the potato cups. Fill with baking beans to weigh down the potatoes and make sure they retain their shape.
  3. Bake potato cups at 350 for 15 minutes until golden brown.
  4. In the meantime, chop the chives, parsley and dill. Beat together with eggs, cream and seasoning.
  5. Heat a small pan with a tablespoon of olive oil or butter. Pour the eggs into the hot pan. Using a spatula, fold the eggs over and over onto themselves. Don’t let the pan get too hot and cook until the eggs are the consistency you like.
  6. 30 seconds before the eggs are done, add the two kinds of cheese and cook until melted.
  7. When the potato cups are crispy, remove the beans and parchment and fill with eggs. Top with a little more fresh herbs and enjoy the creamy, warm taste of breakfast.

© 2010 Jonathan Meter and Jessica Hertle

Marella September 23, 2010 at 2:58 am

GREAT!!!! I like the blanching operation, it helps keep the potatoes soft. Last June I had a similar idea, which I proposed to a cooking challenge. Only, I fried my potatoes and I must say I like the blanching process better. Thanks a lot, this is a great improvement!

The recipe I proposed is here: http://menuturistico.blogspot.com/2010/06/libiam-nei-lieti-calici-bicchierini-di.html

Malcolm September 23, 2010 at 1:19 pm

I love the look of these…perfect for a Sunday brunch. Thank you for the great recipe and photographs!

heidi September 25, 2010 at 8:40 am

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
yum
🙂

my boyfriend cooks for me September 26, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I always want to try making edible bowls, but somehow we never end up doing it. Maybe I just need to subtly send your photo to my boyfriend, and he will be as inspired as me!

Oui, Chef October 12, 2010 at 9:49 am

These are just the cutest and tastiest looking things I’ve seen in a while, I’ll have to give them a try for brunch SOON! – S

A February 27, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I tried making these and for some reason my potato bowls wouldn’t hold together when I took them out of the tin. Any hints or suggestions?

BiteSizedJessica February 28, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Did you blanch the potatoes first? Sometimes they can be a little finicky. They have to be pressed together hard while they’re baking to stick and can’t be overly starchy…

PJ January 28, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I followd directions and my potatoes did not turn brown in 15 minutes. How long do you leave them in the ice bath? I blanched them for five minutes and put them in ice water for 15 minutes, then drained them and even patted them dry. What did I do wrong?

SMartin January 31, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I tried them for lunch today and also had problems with the potato bowls …..will remain posted in hopes of getting a blanching & shocking time table. 🙁

BiteSizedJessica February 1, 2012 at 12:47 am

Hey PJ and SMartin – I’m sorry to hear you had problems with the potato cups! I will say they are quite delicate and can be a bit tricky. I would say if they didn’t brown in 15 minutes, you could leave them in a bit longer to brown or even throw them under the broiler for a second. Also, the ice bath is just to cool the potatoes -so you don’t need to leave them in there for so long. Just in and out of the boiling water, then in and out of the ice bath so that they are more malleable but not cooked all the way. I hope this helps you!! And thanks for trying our recipe, best of luck to you next time.

wordpress blog hosting January 12, 2014 at 3:14 am

I visited several blogs except the audio feature
for audio songs current at this web page is genuinely marvelous.

Cerrajero 24 Horas en Barcelona September 21, 2014 at 8:33 am

Os dejamos una oferta muy especial para nuestros lectores de la web,
un veinte por cien de descuento en nuestros servicios de cerrajería en Madrid.

En España hay muchos servicios de cerrajería , pero solo somos unos
pocos los que realizamos labores como cerrajeros profesionales y
de confianza, no se fíe de cualquiera, busque
calidad en el servicio de cerrajería.