Garlic Butter Toasts

by BiteSizedJessica on December 21, 2011

At heart, I’m a bread and butter person. I have a weakness for bread like none other and could probably live off a 90% carb diet. I love butter almost as much, especially sweet and salty whipped butter – anything that acts as a vehicle for butter, or VFB as our friend David likes to call it, I’ll eat it.

I’ve been on a garlic-confit kick because we keep getting this awesome garlic at the farmer’s market and I often buy too much of it, or have a ton leftover from making dinner and don’t want it to rot away in the vegetable bin. So the other night, we made garlic confit and I had the idea to mix it in with butter and make toasts. For the holiday festivities we put radishes and watercress on the toasts to make little tea sandwiches, and disguise the fact that we were about to eat a loaf of bread and stick of butter for dinner. Well we didn’t eat the whole loaf and all the butter, but Jonathan’s taken care of that in recent days.

Our little tea sandwich toasts were a fun easy snack and we had leftover garlic confit and very tasty, fragrant olive oil to use in cooking and salads for days to come.

INGREDIENTS:

For the Garlic Butter:

7 heads of garlic
Sprig of rosemary
Sage leaves
Tbsp black peppercorns
Tsp coriander seeds
Olive oil, to cover

Process:

1. Slice off the tops of the heads of garlic, wasting as little of the cloves as possible.
    2. Remove a stick of butter from the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature.
    3. Place garlic heads in a small baking dish and combine with herbs and spices.
    4. Cover with olive oil and a parchment lid. Top with foil and bake at 250º until very soft, about 45 minutes to an hour.
    5. Remove from hot oil carefully and allow to cool. Strain off the oil and reserve it for future use – just make sure to keep it refrigerated.
    6. When the garlic cloves are cooled, peel them and put in mixer with butter. Whip until garlic and butter are combined and butter is light and fluffy. Spread on toasts and enjoy!

For the Toasts:

Slices of bread of your choice, toasted
Radishes, sliced
Watercress, picked and cleaned

Process:

1. Spread garlic butter on toasts. Top with radishes, watercress or whatever else you like. Sprinkle with sea salt and serve at room temperature.

Oui, Chef December 21, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Love the idea of having garlic confit around, why do I never think of doing that? tasty fresh topping on the toast make these treats seem ALMOST healthy! Happy holidays to you both! – S

heidi December 22, 2011 at 9:48 am

I could also live on good bread and sweet butter
and, on Sunday mornings, “back in the day,” I almost did.

My only concern is what did you do with the crusts?
That’s my favorite.

xoxox

Jessica December 23, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I think I already live on a 90% all carb diet…haha. Love garlic confit.

Matt December 24, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I REALLY have to stop reading this blog when I’m hungry! These photos are truly top notch what an excellent and appealing way to present the dishes. Thanks for another interesting addition.

Sam January 1, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Love your blog! Always beautifully done!

I am still learning but here is a fairly elementary question… won’t putting the oil in the fridge result in it becoming a solid?

Sam January 1, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Now that I reread my thought, I guess that is a good thing until you are ready to use it? When you are ready to use the oil, do you just cut a piece out and then heat to liquid form again?

BiteSizedJonathan January 1, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Hey Sam, thanks for checking us out. You’re right that putting the oil in the fridge will solidify it. Fats solidify when cold and liquify when heated. In this case, because of the garlic, it isn’t safe to keep the oil at room temperature, as it would be if the oil was plain. When you remove the oil from the fridge and let it come to room temp, it will liquify again. Or, if you are cooking with it, you could just scoop some out and toss it in the pan. Hope that helps and have fun! Happy new year!

BiteSizedJonathan January 1, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Adie Andrews January 12, 2012 at 4:16 am

That sounds so delicious the only problem with the garlic is that I can’t get rid of the smell after that but it is so so yummy.
Greets list your flat for Olympics

http://mensengagementrings.ca March 20, 2012 at 2:09 pm

That is really attention-grabbing, You are an excessively skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and look ahead to seeking extra of your fantastic post. Additionally, I have shared your website in my social networks!

continue March 21, 2014 at 11:27 pm

First, and foremost, if you’re going to write a non-fiction story, you have to write about something interesting. However, paper writing is one with the most important parts in the curriculum; students have all of the logical reasons in their mind for not liking it that much.