Feast of the Seven Fishes #7: Linguine Vongole

by BiteSizedJessica on December 27, 2012

Linguini Vongole © 2012 Jonathan Meter

Over the summer, I started having a craving for linguine with clams. Once I’d made this meal for dinner and seen how easy it was, it became a staple meal for us. The cockles can be expensive, but the rest of the ingredients are so cheap that it evens out. Jonathan and I used to eat our bowls of linguine and clams out on the fire escape with a cold glass of white wine. It’s truly the perfect summer meal.

Over the winter, I’ve played with the recipe and sometimes add a few ingredients to make a heartier meal. You can add sausage, white beans, or bacon to your clam and onion stew to make this a robust winter pasta dish. I’ve also occasionally added spinach and cherry tomatoes to the clam stew. You can use whatever you like, but the basic recipe is fantastic on its own as well.

We hope you enjoyed our Feast of the 7 Fishes recipes and that you’ll try at least one on your own at home! Merry Christmas everyone!

Ingredients
(Serves 4-6)

2 lbs clams of your choosing (we used peconic bay and cockles)
Olive oil
Butter
2 yellow onions, diced
4 cloves of garlic, zested
1 cup white wine
1 small bunch of thyme
1 small bunch of parsley
1 small bunch of chives, minced
2 bay leaves
1 box linguine

What to do:

1. Set a pot of water to boil for the linguine. In the meantime, clean the clams thoroughly under cold running water – don’t let the clams sit in the water, or they will drown.
      2. Mince the onions and shallots. Zest the garlic. In a large pan, heat the butter and oil over medium low heat. Add the shallots and onion and sweat slowly until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook a minute longer.
      3. Start cooking the linguine.
      4. Raise the heat to high and add the clams and herbs. When pan is sizzling hot, deglaze with the white wine and cook until clams have opened, 3-4 minutes.
      5. When pasta is cooked, use a pair of tongs or a slotted pronged spoon to transfer the pasta directly into the clam pan. Combine the clams, onions and herbs into the pasta and add more butter, salt and pepper if needed. Serve hot!

© 2012 Jonathan Meter

Jessica's Dinner Party January 2, 2013 at 6:53 pm

My dad always orders linguine at restaurants, but have never tried to make it for him at home. Sounds too simple! I should really try making it soon.

PS: Happy New Year!!

BiteSizedJessica January 8, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Thanks Jessica, this is such a great meal you should definitely try it!

Lea Ann January 9, 2013 at 8:47 am

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and the comment. Always fun to get new visitors. Like your site here. I’ll have to spend some time and look around.

Margaret January 9, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Beautiful! I’m going to make this as soon as I figure out where to get the best clams. Do you know if there is a season for fresh clams, or is any time of the year ok? I’m not well versed with seafood but getting better since I found a guy who drives in from the coast (NC) once a week with fresh shrimp and fish.

BiteSizedJessica January 9, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Thanks Margaret! Common cockles can be found year round and aren’t especially affected by the season. Other varieties of clams tend to be more seasonal, but I love cockles and find that any good seafood store carries them – so does Whole Foods.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts January 10, 2013 at 4:48 pm

What a great pasta dish – looks gorgeous!

BiteSizedJessica January 10, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Thanks Erin! Thanks for checking out BiteSized.

Diana @ Appetite for china January 11, 2013 at 1:15 am

Fantastic photo! It’s making me hungry and it’s already bedtime!

sally January 14, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I had to come check out your blog Jessica. I love linguine with clams. Looks good and nice photo! Funny, I’ve had a craving for them lately. Will have to make them soon! I usually use little manilla clams as that’s what we get around here in So Cal.

BiteSizedJessica January 14, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Thanks Sally! Glad you liked the recipe!

Ellie January 14, 2013 at 11:32 pm

This is an awesome set of posts. My family does the Feast of the Seven Fishes every Christmas Eve, it’s fun to see someone else’s seven fishes.

BiteSizedJessica January 14, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Thanks Ellie! It’s great to hear from someone whose family does this for Christmas – my family never has, but it was so much fun, I think I may start a new tradition. Glad you enjoyed it! Maybe you should share your family’s recipes next holiday season!

BiteSizedJessica January 14, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Thanks Diana, this is a fun easy recipe to make and was fun to take pictures of too. Glad you liked it!

The Squishy Monster January 15, 2013 at 1:39 pm

This looks incredibly accessible and delicious!

Soni January 16, 2013 at 10:36 am

Love the simplicity of this dish! I love clams and would love to try out your recipe :)

BiteSizedJessica January 16, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Thanks so much Soni! Definitely try the recipe it’s a good one!

Erin @ The Speckled Palate January 17, 2013 at 10:05 am

This sounds absolutely WONDERFUL and certainly like something that my husband would have a major, major freak out over. (He’s the guy who always orders fish dishes when we occasionally go to an Italian restaurant.) Pinning this for him, as it sounds perfect, as well as something that I could thoroughly enjoy, too!

BiteSizedJessica January 18, 2013 at 11:41 am

Nice! So glad it’s a recipe you think you’ll try!

Yvonne @ bitter baker January 25, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I’m normally not the hugest fan of seafood, but this totally makes me want to challenge my taste buds!

BiteSizedJessica January 25, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Yvonne, you should definitely give this a try. The clams give the pasta extra flavor and delicious saltiness without being too fishy!

Everette March 10, 2014 at 9:52 pm

hi!,I love your writing so a lot! percentage we bee in contact extra about your post on AOL?
I need an expett on this house to solve myy problem.
May be that iss you! Taking a look ahead to see you.