Skirt Steak with Chimichurri and Yuca Fries

by BiteSizedJonathan on January 18, 2013

Skirt Steak with yuca © 2013 Jonathan Meter

I like to make plans. I like having everything all set and ready to go. I like to be 30 minutes early to any movie, so we can get the good seats. If I’m going to a concert, I like to have the tickets ready to go, not try to pick them up off some scalper at the door. And most of all, I love restaurant recommendations. There’s nothing better than going to a restaurant your best friend and taste guru has highly recommended. I like to be guaranteed a good meal. I’m never more disappointed than when a dinner excursion results in disappointment or a mediocre meal – somehow I always feel compelled to eat something incredible afterwards to compensate.

When Jonathan and I were planning our honeymoon, we were also planning the wedding and we definitely went off to Buenos Aires, Iguazu and Mendoza without much besides hotels and flights booked. Jonathan assured me that you can get an awesome steak at any hole in the wall restaurant in BA, and that we didn’t need reservations. I had my doubts but decided to trust Jon since he’s been there so many times and was so enthusiastic about the quality of steak down there.

Jon of course was right and we had some pretty fantastic dinners while we were travelling. The best meals we had by far were the most impromptu ones, where we just walked into the only place we could find that was open.  Part of the reason the beef is so fantastic is that Argentina is one of the few countries that raises all grass-fed beef. Recently, our friends at US Wellness Meats sent us a bunch of amazing grass-fed samples – with skirt steak among them.

Skirt Steaks © 2013 Jonathan Meter

In Buenos Aires, a really traditional dinner is skirt steak served with three sauces – chimichurri, red chimichurri and salsa criolla. Our unplanned simple steak dinners we stumbled across were my favorite of the trip, and also the best. I’d like to think I came home with some of that go-with-the-flow attitude – but Jon will definitely say I’m still as crazy as before, especially when it comes to food.

Argentinean steak sauces © 2013 Jonathan Meter

INGREDIENTS
(serves 2)

2 skirt steaks
1 yuca, julienned

For the Steak and Yuca Fries:

1. Season the steak with salt and pepper. Heat a cast iron skillet until very hot. Oil lightly and sear steak on both sides. Cook until it reaches your desired temperature, about 8 minutes for medium rare.
      2. For the fries, julienne the yucca and gift it a quick rinse. Heat about 3 inches of canola oil and fry the yuca until crispy. Lay to drain on a paper towel to absorb excess oil.

For the Green Chimichurri:
Blend ingredients in food processor and serve cold, or at room temperature.
1/8 c red wine vinegar
2/3 c olive oil
1 c fresh parsley
¼ c fresh oregano
Few sprigs fresh mint
2 cloves raw garlic
1 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper

For the Red Chimichurri:
Whisk ingredients together in a small bowl. Let sit for at least 1 hour before serving, cold or at room temperature.
1/8 c red wine vinegar

1 red onion, diced
1 small jalapeno, roasted and diced
2 plum tomatoes, diced
Few sprigs parsley, chiffonnade
Salt and pepper

What to do:

1. Roast pepper and dice. Dice tomatoes.
      2. Mince onion, chiffonnade parsley.
      3. Mix ingredients together in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.

peppers and tomatos © 2013 Jonathan Meter

© 2013 Jonathan and Jessica Meter

Lindsay January 18, 2013 at 6:36 pm

We love chimichurri! I have never tried the red version-will have to give it a try!

BiteSizedJessica January 18, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Thanks Lindsay, it is spicy so watch out!

Jessica's Dinner Party January 18, 2013 at 8:57 pm

The steak looks amazing! I can’t even imagine how great it was in Argentina. Need to put on my must-go list!

Mandy January 19, 2013 at 1:10 am

this is… restaurant-level food…crazy yum!!!

Joanne January 19, 2013 at 8:27 am

Chimichurri sauce always tastes like a breath of fresh air to me! You’ve photographed it so beautifully!

Dora January 19, 2013 at 12:40 pm

One of my favorites!!! When can we come over??? 🙂

BiteSizedJessica January 19, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Any time!

BiteSizedJessica January 19, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Thank you so much Mandy! I work in a restaurant so I’m glad it shows a little 😉

BiteSizedJessica January 19, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Jessica, you should definitely make it a trip. It’s such a beautiful and diverse country. I want to go back, to Patagonia and definitely back to BA! Thanks for visiting our site 🙂

Oui, Chef January 22, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I’m sure he means crazy in a good way. I’ve never made yucca fries, I’ll have to give them a try…love that you cut them into such fine matchsticks…yum! I’ve only ever made a green chimichurri, can’t wait to try the other sauces.

Laura January 22, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I love every single thing going on here. Those skirt steaks are gorgeous!

BiteSizedJessica January 22, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Thanks Laura! We got the steaks from some friends at a company called US Wellness Meats – all the meat is grass-fed and the steaks were really good. You can find out more about them here: http://www.uswellnessmeats.com. Thanks for checking out BiteSized!

BiteSizedJessica January 22, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Thanks Steve! I’d say he’s 50-50 good/bad on the crazy comments… 😉 The yuca fried up really nicely and got evenly crispy on our first try…definitely delicious as skinny fries, and it was so easy – totally worth any effort of cleaning up fry oil afterwards. Of the three chimichurri, the salsa criolla was my second favorite to the classic green, which I find hard to beat – you should try it!

Lorne Marr January 24, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Well, I must confess that I haven’t heard about chimichurri ever before, but I will surely give it a try. I’ve been living healthy for some time (all the green stuff, etc.) and now I think I could eat the beautiful slice of meat in the picture raw. Seriously, even that picture looks great. I’ll serve this dish to my family and friends and I hope that it will be as beautiful and delicious as yours (although I doubt it 🙂 Excellent work! Thanks for inspiration.

Yvonne @ bitter baker January 25, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I can’t wrap my head around how delicious this looks! Gotta try those Yuca fries!

BiteSizedJessica January 25, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Thanks Yvonne! It did turn out really well, and the yuca fries were super easy to make. Hope you give it a shot.

scarlett February 4, 2013 at 5:13 am

good blogger god, i’ve never seen meat look more delicious… WOW!
xo
scarlett

BiteSizedJessica February 6, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Thanks Scarlett! So glad you liked it!

Andrew March 14, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Wow! We really enjoyed that! My favorite was the green too.