Roasted Radishes with Dill

by BiteSizedJessica on April 8, 2013

Roasted Radish © 2013 Jonathan Meter The other day at work, a manager came downstairs and whispered quietly to Chef “The guys at table six are chefs, should we send them something?” When asked why he thought this, the manager said, “Well, I heard them having a lengthy discussion about radishes.” Chef nodded in agreement and told the cooks to add an extra course on table six.

I was working the line that day, and this exchange made me laugh out loud. It’s just kind of hilarious – who else but a bunch of cooks would talk at great length about radishes? In any other situation I would be mocking these people for being pretentious and completely full of it, were it not for the fact that I have had lengthy conversations about radishes myself.

Radishes never held any interest for me before I started cooking and eating professionally in New York. The only radishes I’d encountered were the unexciting bland discs you find sliced at a typical salad bar. I really had no appreciation for the variety or versatility of the radish family.

After about six months of working at Mas, I discovered roasted radishes when I was asked to prepare them as a garnish for chef menus. Seasoning the radishes and tossing them in a pan accentuates a radish’s spicy brightness. This preparation couldn’t be an easier way to see another side of a spunky vegetable that really is worth talking about.

INGREDIENTS
(Serves 2 as a side)

1 bunch radishes
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Fresh dill

What To Do:

1. Wash and clean radishes. Halve or quarter them, depending on their size.
      2. Chop dill. Heat a pan on medium high heat.
      3. Lightly coat the pan with oil. Saute the radishes on high heat until browned on all sides and slightly softened. Don’t overcook them – they should still have a bit of a crunch.
      4. Toss roasted radishes in a bowl with a sprinkling of sea salt and the chopped dill. Serve warm alongside a meal, or as a healthy snack.

Roasting Radich © 2013 Jonathan Meter

© 2013 Jonathan and Jessica Meter

Eileen April 9, 2013 at 12:37 am

Yay, roasted radishes! I would love to get a spontaneous plate of them while out to dinner. Because the only other people who would have a long conversation about radishes in public are foodbloggers. 🙂

Heidi April 9, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I love radishes but would have NEVER thought to cook them. Can’t wait to try.

BiteSizedJessica April 10, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Thanks Eileen! They’re surprisingly good.

melissa April 10, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Yum! I actually have some fresh radishes from my weekly CSA in the fridge. I’ll definitely use this recipe for them. Thanks.

BiteSizedJessica April 11, 2013 at 8:56 am

Great Melissa! Hope it turns out well.

Janna | Eats and Beats April 11, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I’m attempting my first garden this year (yay!) and my friend has me convinced to grow radishes so I can make some Raddish Top Soup. I’m excited that I’ll have something to do with the rest of the raddishes now! (Thanks for coming by Eats and Beats, by the way!) 🙂

BiteSizedJessica April 17, 2013 at 1:16 pm

That’s awesome Janna, fresh grown radishes probably make these even better!

personal finance software reviews 2014 September 23, 2014 at 5:58 am

You really make it appear so easy together with your presentation however I to find this
matter to be really something which I feel I’d never understand.
It kind of feels too complex and very large for me.
I’m looking forward to your subsequent post, I’ll attempt to get the hold
of it!

pawn shop chronicles full movie September 29, 2014 at 5:06 am

Hey there! I just wanted to ask if you ever
have any problems with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was
hacked and I ended up losing months of hard work
due to no data backup. Do you have any solutions to
stop hackers?