Jonathan doesn’t eat dessert. He ‘doesn’t like’ chocolate. It’s really quite infuriating and just plain wrong. I’ve tried to entice him over the years, with brownies, my best chocolate cake, Haagen Daas, the works. No dice. I’ve given up trying to get him to chow down on sweets at the end of a meal. I figure it’s better in the long run for me anyways, to always pass on dessert.
But I’m not always resolute in my determination to ‘be healthy’ while my husband cavalierly gives up something that tempts me to the core. And the one thing that I know does tempt my husband is raspberries. He loves them. Sometimes I’ll buy a few pints and come home to find him just stuffing them in his face at the sink.
Thus my raspberry jam and sweet whole wheat cracker dessert was born. Jam and cheese courses are a classic, and my homemade jam and crackers makes this the perfect sweet ending to any meal.
For the cheeses, I went all French and picked a Bucheron, a Bleu D’Auvergne, and a Cazelle de Saint Affrique. Bucheron is one of my favorite cheeses. The creamy texture and tangy, lemony spark of this French goat cheese makes it versatile enough to pair with sweet or savory components and is a great addition to a dessert plate. The Bleu D’Auvergne is a mellow, creamy cow’s milk cheese. It has a light spiciness which subtly complements the sweetness of the raspberry jam and crackers. Finally, the Cazelle de Saint Affrique is a hard, artisan sheep’s milk cheese. The Cazelle’s nutty, earthy flavor really helps round out this dessert, and also pairs perfectly with the sweet jam and wheat cracker.
It’s easy to make a wonderful jam and #raspberrydessert with @driscollsberry raspberries!
2 pints Driscolls Raspberries
cup white granulated sugar
What to Do:
1. Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pot and heat until bubbling.
2. Turn down flame to low and let simmer and reduce until jam reaches the consistency you desire. Stir frequently to a wooden spoon to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pan.
3. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Serve with cheese!
Whole Wheat Sesame Crackers
2 cups whole wheat flour
cup sesame seeds
scant cup granulated sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
8 tbsp (1 stick) cold butter, diced
3/8 cup heavy cream
1/8 cup water
What to Do:
1. Combine flour, sesame seeds, sugar and salt in a food processor and lightly pulse to mix.
2. Add cold diced butter and pulse until dough is crumbly, like the texture of sand.
3. Slowly drizzle in cream and water until dough comes together.
4. Turn out into a bowl and mix until a ball is formed. Form the dough into a round or rectangular log and wrap in plastic.
5. Freeze for one hour, then slice and bake on parchment at 350 until lightly browned. Serve with jam and cheese!